32MB Konfig-Option

From: Wolfram Schneider <wosch(at)cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:42:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Roland Jesse writes:
>Ich erinnere mich schwach, einmal etwas davon gelesen zu haben, dass bei
>32MB RAM im Rechner im Kernel-Konfig File eine bestimmte Option
anzugeben

Nein, erst ab > 64MB.

/usr/share/doc/FAQ/freebsd-faq.ascii
  8.6. I have 128 MB of RAM but it seems that the system use only the
  first 64 MB. What's going on ?

  Due to the manner in which FreeBSD gets the memory size from the BIOS,
  it can only detect 16 bits worth of Kbytes in size (65535 Kbytes =
  64MB). If you have more than 64MB, FreeBSD will only see the first
  64MB. To work around this problem, you need to use the kernel option
  specified below. There is a way to get complete memory information
  from the BIOS, but we don't have room in the bootblocks to do it.
  Someday when lack of room in the bootblocks is fixed, we'll use the
  extended BIOS functions to get the full memory information...but for
  now we're stuck with the kernel option.
              options "MAXMEM=<n>"