Re: [doc-jp 5722] Translator's mailing list, and/or tools

From: Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki(at)snipe.rim.or.jp>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:37:10 +0900

Nik Clayton <nik(at)nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi, I'm one of the managers of FreeBSD doc team.

> First, would it be useful if there was a "translations" mailing list,
> for you guys to discuss issues relating to translating FreeBSD
> documentation, share tips, and so on? Or is -doc sufficient?

I think "translation mailing list" would be very useful.

> Secondly, do any of you have your own documentation on how you're
> managing the translations? I'm getting messages from people wanting
> to translate the docs to other languages (which is great) but I can't
> offer them a great deal of help because I don't know what's involved
> day-to-day.

Our documentation are available at http://www.jp.freebsd.org/doc-jp/,
But these are all in Japanese... Contents are as follows:

    1. About the Japanese Documentation Project
    2. How to join the project
    3. Translation guideline
    4. Translation table
    5. Sync Status

I think the "5. Sync Status" pages would be very useful for other
projects. These are available on
        http://www.jp.freebsd.org/~motoyuki/syncstat/

I'll make English version of these pages later...

> Obviously, I can encourage them, let them know that they really need to
> know how to use CVSup, how to submit documentation changes, and so on,
> but that's about it.

Some members (includes me) of Japanese doc-team have commit privs
at freefall.freebsd.org. I think the "send-pr -> commit" process is
too complicated for the document translation updates, because
    1. Original (English version of) documents are updated so
        freqently.
    2. Most of the committer cannot read "translated" documents.
        So they cannot decide the changes are good or not.

---