Re: mirror and perl

From: Ollivier Robert <roberto(at)keltia.freenix.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 01:57:28 +0100 (MET)

It seems that Peter Wemm said:
> Wasn't this the other way around? The BSD version was derived from the
> perl version? (And the perl version was derived from a version from
> somewhere like caltech?)

The Perl malloc come from Caltech (see below) but I don't remember if the
BSD malloc is based on Perl's version or directly from Caltech's.

/*
 * malloc.c (Caltech) 2/21/82
 * Chris Kingsley, kingsley(at)cit-20.
 *
 * This is a very fast storage allocator. It allocates blocks of a small
 * number of different sizes, and keeps free lists of each size. Blocks that
 * don't exactly fit are passed up to the next larger size. In this
 * implementation, the available sizes are 2^n-4 (or 2^n-12) bytes long.
 * This is designed for use in a program that uses vast quantities of memory,
 * but bombs when it runs out.
 */

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto(at)keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #6: Mon Mar 11 20:18:10 MET 1996