Debian basierend auf FreeBSD (war: Debain basierend auf FBSD)

From: Greg Lehey <grog(at)mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:16:54 -0500

On Thursday, 25 November 1999 at 9:12:48 +0100, J Wunsch wrote:
> As Gregor Bittel wrote:
>
>> Nichts gegen Debian, aber wenn sie das Ziel haben, dann müssen die
>> ebenfalls die Sourcen freilegen und im Netz downloadbar machen,
>> natürlich ebenfalls unentgeltlich wie bei FBSD.
>
> Häh? Macht Debian das nicht? Debian ist doch schließlich ein reines
> Hobby-Projekt, kein kommerzieller Distributor.
>
> Wenn sie meinen... Es wäre immerhin interessant zu erfahren, wie
> sowas funktioniert. Ich bezweifle es ja ein bißchen, da einige
> Utilities stark an den Kernel gebunden sind (ps, oder vieles aus /sbin
> und /usr/sbin), bei anderen Sachen ist es wieder egal. Es wäre vom
> Userland her halt ein Linux.

Es scheint wahr zu sein. Schaut mal bei
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/1999/45/ nach. Zitat:

   Debian with the FreeBSD kernel was the subject of a heated
   week-long discussion. It seems that since this idea was first
   conceived in February, a few people have been working on the
   port. The status of their work can be read about here. Basically,
   they are using the FreeBSD kernel and libc, and recompiling Debian
   packages to work on that system. Reactions varied. John Goerzen
   worries that a version of Debian based on a BSD copyrighted kernel
   would open the door to third parties taking our work and making it
   proprietary, and also that "we are essentially giving first aid to
   software that is dying (and rightfully so) because of its
   license". Many others disagree with him and have no problems with
   the BSD license. Others wonder if it wouldn't be technically
   better, and easier in the long run, to port glibc to FreeBSD, and
   allow Debian packages to be used unchanged with that kernel and
   library combination.

Greg

--
Finger grog(at)lemis.com for PGP public key