Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

From: Thomas Keusch <thomas(at)visionaire.ping.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:26:38 +0100

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 10:29:49PM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:

Hi Andreas!

> To bring in some new flesh here ... I repeated the tests with Linux
> Kernel release 2.2.3. And yes, the results are better ...

> But we are still 19% better ;-)

If the Linux machines are running SuSE Linux, you might consider putting
the brand name ``SuSE'' into the News-section of your signature, as the
SuSE distribution used to ship with a patched kernel, not the standard one.

I don't know if SuSE nowadays still ships their distribution with patched
kernels or if they stopped doing it.

Did you run the tests with standard or custom kernels, anyway?

                                     ^

--
 thomas.                                .powered.by.debian/linux.
                                       irc.:.#chatgate, #frust.ger