Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

From: John S. Dyson <dyson(at)iquest.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:22:17 -0500 (EST)

Andreas Klemm said:

> To bring in some new flesh here ... I repeated the tests with Linux
> Kernel release 2.2.3. And yes, the results are better ...
>
> But we are still 19% better ;-)

19% is alot more credible. I made the mistake of mentioning a 2-3X
performance difference between FreeBSD and another OS -- and of course,
it was difficult to show that result (and convince those who will
disagree by default) without exposing a proprietary development
setup. No matter how true the result was (and it was), convincing
the receivers of the info can be difficult (and often not worth it.)

FreeBSD is quite amazing, in that it is dependable in "end" conditions
that many other OSes start acting "wierd." The BSD code legacy (for
all of it's warts) is impressive.

dyson(at)iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid
jdyson(at)nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.