Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

From: Joseph Scott <joseph(at)randomnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:55:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> To bring in some new flesh here ... I repeated the tests with Linux
> Kernel release 2.2.3. And yes, the results are better ...

        Cool, I think this is a more realistic and fair comparission.

> But we are still 19% better ;-)

        Awesome! I think what would be neat now would be to look at
different ways to "benchmark" the two. Maybe an identical Apache set up
and then run something to beat up on it. Or an identical Samba setup and
then beat up on it. These are two areas where Linux is getting a lot of
attention, it would be nice to see how FreeBSD does in a head to head with
Linux.
        Note: No matter what sort of benchmark scheme we come up with
there will be away to argue that it's not accurate or useful. Well, I'd
like to have something (read: better than nothing), and we can always
refine the tests.

Joseph Scott
joseph(at)randomnetworks.com

with "unsubscribe de-bsd-chat" in the body of the message