Re: Was ist "Darwin" ? Was bedeutet "Hurd" ?

From: Stefan Jahn <stefan.jahn(at)nemesis-sektor.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:13:22 +0100

Hallo,

Am 2002.02.19 20:34 schrieb(en) Carsten:
> Was hat es denn mit dem "Darwin"-Projekt auf sich ?

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/

"What is Darwin? Darwin is the core of Mac OS X. The Darwin kernel is
based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0 technologies and provides protected
memory and pre-emptive multitasking. Darwin runs on PowerPC-based
Macintosh computers and a version is also available for x86-compatible
computers."

Weitere Infos zu Darwin:
http://www.freeos.com/projdetails/37/

> Was bedeutet uebrigens der Name des GNU "Hurd"-Projektes ?

http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/software/hurd/hurd.html

"The GNU Hurd is the GNU project's replacement for the Unix kernel. The
Hurd is a collection of servers that run on the Mach microkernel to
implement file systems, network protocols, file access control, and
other features that are implemented by the Unix kernel or similar
kernels (such as Linux)."

"'Hurd' stands for 'Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons'. And, then, 'Hird'
stands for 'Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth'. We have here, to my
knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually
recursive acronyms."

Weitere Infos zu Hurd:
http://www.freeos.com/projdetails/18/

Gruß,
Stefan

--
Stefan Jahn                             | ICQ: 49861506 (Zeiram)
mailto:stefan.jahn(at)nemesis-sektor.de    | AIM: Gueggel