Re: Von 3.3 nach 4.x

From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue(at)nathan.ruhr.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:59:21 +0100

Moin,
> Du hast es doch gerade selbst bestaetigt: Du brauchst waehrend des
> buildworld den neuen kernel, und zwar gebootet.

im buildworld noch nicht, im installworld. Wenn man im buildworld schon den
neuen Kernel bräuchte, hätte man ein ganz massiven chicken-and-egg-problem.
Denn um den 4.x-Kernel zu bauen, braucht man ein 4.x-userland. Das ist doch
gerade der Punkt.

cd /usr/src;cvs -R co -p -rRELENG_4 src/UPDATING sagt auch genau das:

----- wiederverwendete elektronische Schnittkante ohne grünen Punkt -----

To update from 3.x to 4.x stable
--------------------------------
READ -STABLE ARCHIVES FOR THE LAST WEEK OR TWO BEFORE
STARTING THIS PROCESS. UPDATING MAY LAG BEHIND A LITTLE
A GOTCHAS ARE OFTEN REPORTED IN FREEBSD-STABLE(at)FREEBSD.ORG
BEFORE BEING INCLUDED HERE. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO REMOTE
MACHINES, MAKE SURE THAT THE EXACT VERSION YOU ARE UPDATING
THEM TO WORKS ON LOCAL MACHINES BEFORE PROCEEDING.

<see notes below> [3]
cd /usr/src
<see notes below> [2]
make buildworld
<follow directions to build/install a kernel>
cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
make install
<follow rebuild disk /dev entries above> [1]
reboot
<in single user>
cd /usr/src
cd gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/install-info
make install
cd ../../../..
ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
make installworld [5]
mergemaster [4]
reboot
<multi-user>

Die zugehörigen Notes:
[1] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210. In
addition, you should disable any third party modules such as
vmware so that you don't crash your system on reboot.
[2] If you have any of the following in your /etc/make.conf,
please comment them out before following these instructions
and then do a make buildworld + make installworld after you
are back to <multi-user> above:
        MAKE_KERBEROS4
[3] Update to 4.x-stable sources. Make sure that you get all
the parts. If you are using cvsup files that are older than a
couple of months, be sure they have all the components listed
in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. Crypto and secure are now
required.
[4] This step is optional, but is generally a good idea. If
you wish to use many of the new features in 4.x, you must do
this anyway.

----- wiederverwendete elektronische Schnittkante ohne grünen Punkt -----

und weiter oben:

----- wiederverwendete elektronische Schnittkante ohne grünen Punkt -----

To build a kernel
-----------------
cd /usr/src
# If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
# You will also need to update your config file to 4.x. Usually
# people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.x and hack from there.
make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
make installkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
# Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
# /kernel

----- wiederverwendete elektronische Schnittkante ohne grünen Punkt -----

buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel unter 3.x, single-user-reboot, ein
paar Vorbereitung, installworld, mergemaster, fertig.

/s/Udo

--
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains; a pretty violent
image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it,