Re: Installation

From: Harold Gutch <logix(at)foobar.franken.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:38:15 +0200

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 10:20:47AM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Es sprach Harold Gutch (logix(at)foobar.franken.de):
>
> > upgrade" aber die offiziell empfohlene Methode - nicht, weil sie
> > irgendwie "dummy-sicherer" waere, sondern weil wohl wirklich die
> > bessere Methode ist, upzudaten.
>
> Aus /usr/src/Makefile
>
> #
> # Handle the upgrade targets, using the source relative mk files.
> #
>
> upgrade: aout-to-elf
>
> Insofern ist upgrade nur aout-to-elf, mehr nicht.
> Und da ich es immer vorziehe, erstmal sicher zu sein bei so einem
> Sprung, dass auch alles gebaut wird, bevor irgendwas veraendert wird,
> wuerde ich das immer so machen.

Ah, du hast recht; ich hatte davor nicht /usr/src/Makefile
angesehen, nur Jordan Hubbard gequoted:

---------------->snip<----------------
> You can go from 2.2.x to 3.1 release with a make world. Then at 3.1
> do a make aout-to-elf. Once you have a 3.1 elf system, you can then
> checkout -current and build.

Actaully, it will completely screw up in a variety of ways. :)

The canonical and approved method is to grab the 3.x sources onto
your 2.2.x box and do a "make upgrade", which does the aout-to-elf
stuff on your behalf. A "world" is *not* required either before or
afterwards, the upgrade target will do all that it needs to do.

People should get into the habit of using "upgrade" rather than
world in this case anyway since we'll be using the upgrade target
in future releases to do god-only-knows what kind of specialized
upgrade nastiness. :)

- Jordan

> > Wohlgemerkt, dies gilt _nur_ fuer Spruenge von 2.2 auf 3.x oder
> > von 3.x auf CURRENT.
>
> Nein. von 3.x auf -CURRENT reicht ein einfacher make world.

Sorry, ich meinte 2.2.x (nicht 3.x) auf -CURRENT.

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet