Re: FYI: FreeBSD und IDE-HD's?

From: Greg Lehey <grog(at)lemis.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:15:46 +1030

On Saturday, 2 January 1999 at 10:17:47 +0100, Andreas Kohout wrote:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Sun Jan 3 12:13:08 1999) --]

^GKey matching expected Key ID 2FF18E19 not found in file '/home/grog/.pgp/pubring.pgp'.

File '/home/grog/mutt-freeb.$00' has signature, but with no text.
Text is assumed to be in file '/home/grog/mutt-freebie-66110-284'.

WARNING: Can't find the right public key-- can't check signature integrity.

[-- End of PGP output --]

>>> Das System ist beim Test auf der IDE Platte merklich zäher, wobei ich
>>> während dem Benchmark wenig nebenher gemacht habe ...
>>
>> War das mit UDMA oder ohne?
>
> ich bin in letzter Zeit nicht mehr aktuell, wie erfahre ich, ob mit UDMA
> oder ohne?

Steht im dmesg-Output:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST51270A>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-32
wd0: 1223MB (2504880 sectors), 2485 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

> Wie konfiguriere ich den Kernel?

Von "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), ASCII-Version:

controller wdc0
_______________

controller wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xff8004 vector wdintr
disk wd0 at wdc0 drive 0
disk wd1 at wdc0 drive 1
controller wdc1 at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk wd2 at wdc1 drive 0
disk wd3 at wdc1 drive 1

options "CMD640" # Enable workaround for CMD640 h/w bug
options ATAPI # Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options ATAPI_STATIC # Don't do it as an LKM

wdc0 is the primary IDE controller, and wd0 and wd1 are the master and slave
hard drive, respectively. wdc1 is a secondary IDE controller where you might
have a third or fourth hard drive, or an IDE CD-ROM. Comment out the lines
which do not apply. If you have only a SCSI hard drive, you can comment out all
six lines.

A number of flags and options apply to wdc0:

o The flags fields are used to enable the multi-sector I/O and the 32 bit I/O
  modes. You can use them either in the controller definition or in the
  individual disk definitions. If you want to use them during boot
  configuration, specify them in the controller definition.

  16 flag bits are provided for each drive. The first 16 flag bits refer to
  drive 1, and the second 16 bits refer to drive 0. In each set of flags,

  o Bit 15 (0x8000) specifies to probe for 32 bit transfers.

  o Bit 14 (0x4000) enables waking powered-down laptop drives.

  o Bit 13 (0x2000) allows probing for PCI IDE DMA controllers, such as Intel's
    PIIX south bridges.

  o Bit 12 (0x1000) enables LBA (logical block addressing mode). If this bit
    is not set, the driver accesses the disk in CHS (cylinder/head/sector)
    mode.

  o In CHS mode, if bits 11 to 8 are not equal to 0, they specify the number of
    heads to assume (between 1 and 15). The driver recalculates the number of
    cylinders to make up the total size of the disk.

  o The low 8 bits specify the maximum number of sectors per transfer. The
    special case 0xff represents the maximum transfer size which the drive can
    handle.

  See the man page for wd(4) (on your system, but not in this book) for more
  details.

  Thus, we can break down the example value 0xff8004 (the full 32 bits are
  0x00ff8004) into 0x00ff for drive 1 (use the maximum transfer size) and
  0x8004 for drive 0 (allow probing for 32 bit support, and use a transfer size
  of 4 sectors). We use CHS addressing for this drive.

o The option CMD640 enables serializing access to primary and secondary channel
  of the CMD640B IDE chip if the chip is probed by the PCI system. This works
  around a bug in this particular chip.

o The option ATAPI enables support for ATAPI-compatible IDE devices, such as
  CD-ROMs.

o If you specify ATAPI_STATIC in addition to ATAPI, the kernel will not allow
  ATAPI support as an LKM (loadable kernel module).

Greg

finger grog(at)lemis.com for PGP public key