Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

From: Greg Lehey <grog(at)lemis.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:13:20 +1030

On Sunday, 14 March 1999 at 19:05:42 -0800, unknown(at)riverstyx.net wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 12:15:21AM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>>> See the links in my signature ...
>>>
>>> Enjoy it ... Linux brings 0% performance gain in the "stable" system
>>> SMP arena ......
>>>
>>> See : http://www.freebsd.org/~andreas/benches/index.html
>>> http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html
>>
>> Well, if you wanted this to be really public, you picked the right way
>> to go about it. Just wait until someone drops this onto the linux
>> lists. I wonder what the signal:flame ratio will be. Bets, anyone, on
>> time to slashdot, as well as the ratio?
>
> I don't have a problem with FreeBSD doing any better than Linux in SMP.
> I'm going to use whatever OS gives me the best performance, and I'll
> switch to FreeBSD for the majority of my servers in a second if it'll help
> me. I'm fairly competent with both OS, even if I do have more experience
> with Linux. I do however object to the testing methods here -- For one
> thing, it doesn't look like the Linux kernel was actually recompiled in
> SMP mode, 'coz I can build bash in that time in single processor mode :) I
> definitely see massive improvements when I use a dual+ processor system
> under Linux. SuSE, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't ship SMP kernels
> in the default distribution. And of course, SuSE' STABLE kernel doesn't
> mean much, since the distributions aren't tied to the kernel tree like
> FreeBSD is. The 2.2.x series kernels are available, with upgrade
> instructions on http://www.linuxhq.com if anyone feels like rerunning
> those tests.

I tend to agree. I could accept the statement "Linux SMP gives less
performance than FreeBSD SMP". I can't accept the statement "Linux
SMP gives no performance improvement". The first thing that came into
my mind was "he must have made a mistake". Other possibilities are
that make -j doesn't work right on Linux, or that Linux SMP doesn't
even the load as well as FreeBSD does (for example, some MP systems
put all children in the same CPU).

Greg

finger grog(at)lemis.com for PGP public key