Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

From: <unknown(at)riverstyx.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:05:42 -0800 (PST)

I don't have a problem with FreeBSD doing any better than Linux in SMP.
I'm going to use whatever OS gives me the best performance, and I'll
switch to FreeBSD for the majority of my servers in a second if it'll help
me. I'm fairly competent with both OS, even if I do have more experience
with Linux. I do however object to the testing methods here -- For one
thing, it doesn't look like the Linux kernel was actually recompiled in
SMP mode, 'coz I can build bash in that time in single processor mode :) I
definitely see massive improvements when I use a dual+ processor system
under Linux. SuSE, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't ship SMP kernels
in the default distribution. And of course, SuSE' STABLE kernel doesn't
mean much, since the distributions aren't tied to the kernel tree like
FreeBSD is. The 2.2.x series kernels are available, with upgrade
instructions on http://www.linuxhq.com if anyone feels like rerunning
those tests.

I'd be more interested in a real world test that actually makes a
difference, like maybe a web server or something doing a lot of traffic.