Re: daemon stories ( german customs )

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr(at)glue.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:30:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > But he refused to get the CD-Rom ... Well I tried to persuade him,
> > that I didn't want to make a deal with him, I only wanted to give
> > it to him, because of the nice service ...
> >
> > Well, then he told me, it's because of the demon symbol ....
> > He is "witnes of Jehova" ;-))) So he can't tale my offer.
>
> What did you expect from a Beamter anyway? Rational thought? C'mon -
> if he was capable of thinking, he wouldn't be a beamter at all, now
> would he? :-) :-)
>
> I think people shouldn't be too put out by these occasional incidents.

Yes. I used to work for a really sharp programmer (I won't give his name
in this possibly unfriendly context) who was a Jehovah's Witness, I've
been at his house and met his family, and seen some others, all fine
people. You can't judge every person who's a Jehovah's Witness by a
handful of morons. It's just not so.

> There are some good ones about texas rednecks and "we just wanted to
> know what the lord of darkness was doing on your chest, Maam?" which
> involve our little mascot and go back several decades. If it proves
> anything at all, it's that there are still religious elements in
> various western societies who'd probably be a lot happier living in
> someplace like Iran and should probably move there at the first
> opportunity. :)
>
> Jordan

Chuck Robey | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr(at)glue.umd.edu | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 |
Greenbelt, MD 20770 | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
(301) 220-2114 | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!