Re: daemon stories ( german customs )

From: Greg Lehey <grog(at)lemis.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:47:00 +1030

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 09:15:59PM -0500, Peter Philipp wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
>> He is "witnes of Jehova" ;-))) So he can't tale my offer.
>>
>> Well I tried to explan to him, that this is only a masquot of
>> the developemen team and was only chosen because of daemon
>> programs so a demon is the masqot.
>>
>> "Yes, he told me ... these demons work in the background and try
>> to influence us to something bad ..."
>>
>> Umpf ;-)) I wished him a nice day, said to him, yes I also belive
>> in something like "good" and went away ...
>>
>> Someone other with such "demon stories" ?! ;-)
>
> A few years back, when just starting to live out of my parents house, the
> jehovia's liked coming by my house and talking to my roomate. He liked
> talking to them and telling him his theories about god and such.
>
> One day they gave him an article about the number "666" and computers
> because they heard that I am on the computer all day. After reading it, I
> was balling of laughter. basically it was saying htat everything that has
> a stamp on it is devilish and that computers all deal with numbers and
> identification stamps and so on so they are the devils work. They were
> warning of the end of the world when everyone was just assigned a number
> and it's all the devils work...hence computers are bad. :)

Hmmm. I don't think I've stopped them coming past here yet, though
last time I pointed out that my trust in them was somewhat shaken
when--as they said in 1967--the world didn't come to an end in 1975.
If they show their faces again, I suppose I should try to sell them a
copy of "The Complete FreeBSD".

Greg