weird keyboard stuff.

From: snooze <snooze(at)slashdevslashnull.de>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:20:25 +0200

Hello everybody. I got problems with the FreeBSD syscons and a few
terminal emulators under X11 regarding to keyboard.

1) Description of what already works...

I have successfully setup XTerm, so it now works perfectly, displays
german Umlaut's, Euro/Cent-sign's and the Alt-key left to the space-key
even works as meta-key. I could not figure out how this may work on
syscons. I had to bind the delete key on the syscons to let it work,
actually i use a ~/.inputrc for my user account that has the following:

--- <begin of paste>
set input-meta on
set output-meta on
# set convert-meta off
"\e[3~": delete-char
        DEL: delete-char
        Meta-DEL: kill-word
        "\M-\C-?": kill-word
--- <end of paste>

If anyone is interested in the app-defaults file for XTerm that
just lets Alt act as the Meta-key, i uploaded it to
http://62.75.136.50

I found a lot of information about all this stuff on google.com/bsd

2) Description of what i fail to setup

I just would like to know if there is a way to let Alt act as the
meta key under syscons and if i can type characters that need
the eighth bit (äöüߤ¢ and go on) when i use it.

I also try to find out how to get the END-key in eterm working for
interactive shells.

Anyway's - all of these are cosmetical needs. Nothing of this is
essential but all would be nice to know how to setup.

Thank you very very much and have a nice time, Armin from West-Germany.