Re: slow FTP

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)secnetix.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:55:36 +0200 (CEST)

Steven Plehier <steven(at)plehier.net> wrote:
> Over here = Belgium, so the German FTP servers are the closed and were the
> fastest (till last week).

Well, it depends.
Geographically closest doesn't necessarily mean that they
are also the closest network-wise. When I perform a
traceroute to plehier.net from my provider at home, it
goes via France.

> I use ftp.de.freebsd.org (the upper German one in the sysinstall util)

Did you try one of the other six? Or maybe one of the
French servers? The Dutch ones might be worth a try, too.

The FTP servers are located in different networks, which
have different connectivity (uplinks, peerings). Sometimes
the name aliases of the mirrors change -- for example, if
if one of the servers isn't up to date, or if connectivity
of the providers has changed.

Regards
   Oliver