Re: CT Magazine 11/96 - Unix For Free

From: Greg Lehey <grog(at)lemis.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:56:48 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>> Andreas Klemm writes:
>>> Who wrote the FreeBSD part ?
>> Good question. Why don't you ask Uli Schmitz?
>
> Well I thought you or another one knew it. I couldn't read the whole
> thread, because I subscribed to this list a short time ago.

In fact, there were no other replies. Julian sent the message, and
apart from that (and a private reply I received), that's been the only
stuff I've seen.

>> For the benefit of the others, Andreas has just co-authored an article
>> on PGP in mail, published in the September 1996 iX. Uli Schmitz is
>> the iX editor responsible for the article. It looks interesting, but
>> I haven't got round to reading it yet. Andreas, did you enjoy the
>> experience?
>
> Well, I know iX being Linux biased in the past ... don't know, if they
> changed their minds. I think the main problem is, that most of their
> "PD-Unix readers" are in the Linux camp ... so figure out what they
> write about as the only truth...

I wrote an article about BSD/386 in the June 1992 issue, before Linux
became something worth talking about. I can't find the damn thing to
check, but in my recollection they had 4 different BSD-related
articles, most of which showed they didn't really know what BSD was
all about, and one of which was just plain silly.

> Main argument in the past (about 2 years ago, the time around/before
> 4.4lite) was the simple statement, that in BSD there has happend
> nothing new ... "it is as it is" ... so what to write about it ...

Who said that? It makes a difference.

> But to justice an operating system, about how "colorful" it is
> or whatever ... *sigh*
>
> Let's see, how the article in iX is.

The good news is that it's in c't, in iX.

>> BTW, Julian sent his original message to chat(at)de.freebsd.org, not
>> chat(at)freebsd.org. I was mislead by the fact that the message was in
>> English, so I sent my message to chat(at)freebsd.org. I'd suggest we
>> follow up to chat(at)de.freebsd.org only, unless somebody has other
>> ideas.
>
> Let's see if I can change the Cc: line in mutt ... I'm just trying
> Michael Eltkins mutt mailer ... looks like elm, but I'm still not
> really familiar with it ;-)

Looks like you need more practice :-). I'm copying this one just to
chat(at)de, anyway.

Greg